The West Midlands Centre for Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) strategy is based on the need for informed and impartial support services and activities geared towards business needs within the West Midlands.
The services we offer include:
- Incisive awareness briefings on AIDC with particular regards to RFID, directed at introducing Businesses to the benefits that RFID have to offer;
- Seminars, events and training directed at providing practical assistance in effectively applying RFID and other AIDC technologies - see nTAILS events;
- Business assist (provided free of cost through the nTAILS project to eligible companies) directed at providing direct assistance to companies who have a need to apply the technology or see an opportunity to exploit the technology in supply chain management, process tracking, new products or technology integration initiatives;
- New Business and Business development activities directed at exploiting innovation and business development opportunities in which RFID and associated technologies may be seen to have a significant role to play;
- RFID support services directed at providing assistance with respect to issues concerning RFID such as privacy, security, exposure to electromagnetic fields, standards and regulations.
The Centre is hosted within the University of Wolverhampton IT Futures Centre to showcase the capabilities of RFID and associated technologies. The initial funding for this centre was provided by Advantage West Midlands and ERDF via West Midlands Mobile and Wireless project.
The Centre offers a set of demonstrators, using technologies such as (but not limited to):
UHF (Ultra High Frequency) Technology:
- ISO 18000-6C (GS1 EPC Gen2);
- Intelleflex (Gen2 C3 battery assisted);
- PowerID (Gen2 battery assisted);
HF (High Frequency) Technology:
- ISO 14443-A (MIFARE);
- Near Field Communication (NFC) enabled phones (recent Android phones such as the Samsung Galaxy S3 - Blackberry - Nokia);
- ISO 18000-3 Mode 2 (Magellan PJM).
These technologies are used in a realistic environment, to demonstrate food traceability, item and pallet level tracking, electronic payments systems, warehouse management, delegate tracking, access control, smart posters etc.